|Festivals in the member cities - Oct. 2007
* Andong Maskdance Festival 2007
- Date : Sep.28 to Oct.7
- Venue: Maskdance Park, Downtown and Hahoe Fork Village all over Andong
- Homepage : www.maskdance.com
- Andong Maskdance festival is selected as the best festival in Korea by Ministry of Culture and Tourism for 6 years. This festival is aimed to please all visitors by overwhelming them with joy and exuberance based on the various events related to mask and its symbol. Also the Andong Folk Festival coincides with the maskdance festival, therefore visitors can watch 30 types of Korean traditional folk plays such as Cha-jeon-noli(man’s the battle game) and Not-dari-balgi(Women’s human bridge).
* The 12th Busan International Film Festival
- Date : Oct.4 to 12
- Venue: Nampo-dong Theater District, Suyeong Bay Yachting Center, Megabox Cinema in Haeundae, Primus Cinema in Haeundae, etc.
- The Busan International Film Festival is the most acknowledged of the 7 international film festivals held in Korea. It began in 1996, and is going into its 12th year. Regardless of its short history, this film festival has been credited with bringing Asian filmmakers together, and is now a high profile festival competing with worldwide film festivals.
The Busan International Film Festival offers a look into Asian films and their trends. Programs include A Window on Asian Cinema, New Currents, Korean Panorama, World Cinema, Wide Angle, Open Cinema, Critic's Choice, Special Programs in Focus, and much more. Overall, the festival seeks to be non-competitive, with the exception of New Currents which is a competitive program. The Busan International Film Festival is appreciated by film lovers for its variety of sections. One of the most popular sections is called A Window on Asian Cinema which offers various perspectives and styles of renowned Asian directors and to their new or controversial films. The New Currents offers the only international competition section featuring the first or the second feature films by the future leading directors of Asian cinema.
* Hakata Toumyou Lantern Arts Festival
- Date : Oct.6
- This arts festival is held on the first Saturday in October. It is full of lights in Hakatka. On the festival night, the paper lanterns lights up the various areas of Hakata. More than 100,000 paper lanterns light up streets, parks and buildings. Many artists paint pictures with lanterns as large as 260 feet in diameter on the ground. It looks like the Milky Way in the dark sky.
* Nagasaki Kunchi Festival
- Date : Oct.7 to 9
- Venue: Suwa Shrine
- This is an autumn festival held at Suwa Shrine which has a history of 370 years. Today, this festival is held every year for three days starting on October 7th in accordance with the solar calendar, drawing large numbers of tourists from both inside and outside Nagasaki Prefecture. The greatest highlight is the Hono-Odori in which the towns in charge, called Odori-cho, take turns every year to perform dances. Each Odori-cho takes charge once every 7 years. The Hono-Odori is also performed in the square in front of the City Public Hall, at the sacred resting-place for gods during the festival parade and at the Yasaka Shrine. Moreover, the attractions prepared by the Odori-cho include dazzling floats shaped like river barges or Chinese boats on wheels.
* The 42nd Seorak Cultural Festival
- Date : Oct.11 to 14
- Venue: Cheongchoho Lake, Seorak National Park, Sokcho Beach and Downtown
- Homepage : www.seorakfestival.com
- The Seorak Cultural Festival is the typical Local & Cultural festival of Sokcho city. It has now been developed and changed into the ceremony for mountain religious service. The various events are mostly about Mt. Seorak and Sokcho's specialty, squid. Climbing Competition, Visiting Seoraksan National Park, Dragging the Gaet-bae(ship) Competition, Fishing Competition, Trundling of Heundeulbawi(Rock), Tasting of Squid Dishes.
* Bangkok International Gift & Houseware Fair(BIG+BIH 2007)
- Date : Oct.20 to 21
- Venue: The Challenger, Hall 1-3 IMPACT
- Homepage : www.thaitradefair.com
- Bangkok hosts Asia's most established gift and home decorative exhibitions in October. It is the venue where designers and manufacturers in Asia reveal their latest collections. The showcase includes gifts, decorative items, household products, artificial flowers and plants, home textiles, handicrafts, toys and games, stationery, and more to fill Christmas stockings.
* Jidai Matsuri (Festival of the Ages)
- Date : Oct.22
- Venue: Heian Jingu Shrine
- Even if you have not been in Japan, You might have heard about 'Matsuri'. A festival held at the Heian Jingu Shrine, the Jidai Matsuri is one of the three largest festivals of Kyoto together with the Aoi Matsuri - Hollyhock Festival (May 15th) and the Gion Matsuri (July 1st - 31st). The highlight of the festival is the Jidai Gyoretsu (Historic Pageant): a mikoshi (a portable shrine) and a suite of some 2,000 people dressed in costumes representing various eras of Kyoto's 1,200-year history parade through the city. At noon, the procession departs from Kyoto Gosho (Kyoto Imperial Palace), and parades over a total distance of 4.6 kilometers as far as its destination, namely the Heian Jingu Shrine, arriving there around 2:30 in the afternoon. The line of the parading people stretches over a long distance and it takes more than one whole hour for the entire procession to pass one spot. This is a fine opportunity for taking a close look at the costumes, accessories and fittings which are reproduced with the quintessence of Kyoto's traditional handicraft techniques. You will find it just as exciting as a visit to an art gallery or a museum.
* Iksan Seodong Festival 2007
- Date : Oct.25 to 28
- Venue: Iksan Central Gymnasium Park
- Homepage : seodong.iksan.go.kr
- Iksan Seodong Culture Festival is a 21st century’ festival in which the international love story of Seodong and Seonhwa is reorganized into a modern perspective. Iksan Seodong Festival is based on the historical record of Buddha’s Responses of the Time of Six Empires of China stating 'King Mugang moved the capital to Jimomil and built Jeseokjeong Temple in the 13th year of his reign', a rectangular Wanggung Castle discovered in 1976, the twin tombs of King Mu and Queen Seonhwa, the national temple of Mireuk Temple recorded in Times of King Mu in History of Three Empires and the recently-found story of Seodong’s mother descending in Yeondong Village, Seogodo-ri, Geumma-myeon. Various culture events with the modernly reorganized theme of 1,400-year-old Baekje love story, the international love story of Seondong and Seonhwa.
* Melaka International Tourism Show (MITS)
Melaka Carnival & MATTA Travel Fair
- Date : Oct.26 to 28
- Venue: Melaka International Trade Centre (MITC), Ayer
- Homepage : www.melaka.org.my
- It is held over 3 days and 3 nights. This event features various performances and challenging competitions. Visitors have a chance to get special packages for overseas tours.
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
* Heart of Borneo 4X4 Safari
- Date : Oct.28 to Nov.4
- Homepage : www.sabahtourism.com
- This event takes you deep into the heart of Sabah, with powerful 4WD vehicles that have been modified to challenge the tracks. Experience the action in one of the world's most beautiful jungle terrains. Fit for those who love adventure and challenges that are out of the ordinary.